Rels/Huma 211, 213, 303, Phil 111, 210
THE TEN COMMANDMENTS
Most Protestant and Greek Lutherans and Roman Catholic
Catholic Church Church
(Josephus’ Order) (Augustine’s Order)
1. Foreign gods, Ex. 20:2-3 1. Foreign gods and images, Ex. 20:2-6
2. Images 20:4-6 2. Name of God
3. Name of God 3. Sabbath
4. Sabbath 4. Parents
5. Parents 5. Murder
6. Murder 6. Adultery
7. Adultery 7. Theft
8. Theft 8. False Witness
9. False Witness 9. Coveting Neighbor’s House
10. Coveting 10. Coveting Neighbor’s other property or
Judaic Order Division of Tablets
(Called 10 Divine Promulgations =
First Promulgation and 9 Commandments)
1. Deliverance from Egypt, Ex 20-2 Judaism (Judaic Order)
2. Foreign gods and images, Ex 20:3-6 Tablet One - Commandments 1-5
3. Name of God Tablet Two - Commandments 6-10
5. Parents Augustine (Augustine’s Order)
6. Murder Tablet One - Commandments 1-3
7. Adultery Tablet Two - Commandments 4-10
9. False Witness Calvin, et. Al (Josephus’s Order)
10. Coveting Tablet One - Commandments 1-4
Tablet Two - Commandments 5-10
Tablet One (?) - Duty to God
Tablet Two (?) - Duty to Man
(1 or 0) I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
(2 or 1) You shall have no other gods before me.
(2 or 1) You shall not make a graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them or serve them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting iniquity of the father upon the children to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but bestowing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments.
(3 or 2) You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes his name in vain.
(4 or 3) Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor, and do all your work; but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God; in it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your manservant, or your maidservant, or your cattle, or the sojourner who is within your gates; for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day and hallowed it.
(5 or 4) Honor your father and mother, that your days may be long in the land which the Lord your God gives you.
(6 or 5) You shall not kill. (murder.)
(7 or 6) You shall not commit adultery.
(8 or 7) You shall not steal.
(9 or 8) You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor. (perjury)
(10 or 9) You shall not covet your neighbor’s house.
(10) You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his manservant, or his maidservant, or his ox, or his ass, or anything that is your neighbors.” Exodus 20: 2-17 Revised Standard Version 1952 edition.